I can keep this article really short and say this –
Knitter’s Pride Karbonz are by and far the very best double pointed needles on this planet especially if you knit socks!
Yes, I love these needles. “I have a lot of knitting needles” is an understatement. I’ve been collecting knitting needles since I was a little girl and probably have a few pairs that were my mother’s. I started with aluminum needles. I tried plastic – they are garbage. I bought a big set of bamboo double pointed needles a few years ago off ebay. They are okay. My biggest problem with them is that the points are not evenly sharp and on smaller diameters will dull making them hard to use when you need to knit two together.
I had heard about Karbonz in a knitting group on ebay. I needed some size 1’s and wanted 1 1/2 and 2 1/2. So I bought a couple of pairs. My son gave me the third size a a gift. Now that I’ve tried Karbonz, I can say they are worth every penny (they are not cheap but they are lower priced on Amazon).
Why I love my Karbonz double pointed needles:
- They feel nice in my hands.
- I have arthritic hands and my hands hurt less using these
- I can have as few as one stitch on the needle and the needle won’t slide out. I just finished a pair of gloves and I probably would have shot myself if I’d tried to do those fingers on aluminum.
- The nickle points slide into the stitches without splitting even when knitting two stitches together.
- So they have sharp, slick points but the carbon fiber shaft offers enough friction to keep stitches on the needle but still let them slide easily as you work.
- I will never have to worry about snapping one in half or having a point go dull.
In summary, while they are higher priced than “box store” needles, they are worth the price especially if you’re working with fine gauge yarns and itty bitty needles.
Have you used Karbonz? Do you have a favorite type of needle? Quick link to Amazon if you’d like to buy some.